About Me

My photo
I work in the realm of Theatreriggaudiophotofication of the world.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

so long my dear.




I gave up today.

I gave up my past, and i opened up the gates of possibilities for the future.

Three years ago I lost almost everything in a tornado, because of that, people from around my community and church lavished furniture, household items and whatever i needed during that time. I went empty handed, into a new apartment, and it quickly became stuffed with things. It was an overwhelming experience. I could never thank those people who helped me enough, it was humbling.

(years later) A few months ago i moved into the room of my childhood. and 95% of those things went into storage.

A couple weeks ago a local house burned down. A house with a family of 5. No one in the family was injured, except they lost their sweet cat and dog. However, they lost absolutely everything. They are currently living in a hotel, all five of them.

About a week ago i got an email from a man that has been letting me use space in his warehouse for storage, rent free, the email read, "good news, bad news... bad news, you need to have your stuff out by the end of the month..." I freaked. I'm not ready to move, get a lease, settle down, but i have a house worth of furniture and stuff to do... something with. But is it really wise to throw money away to a storage building when people could use these things?

I fought it for a while. But then i realized, i was blessed with these things when i needed them, how can i hold it back? It will be a release for me, i will be free of.... stuff.

Today, neighbors of the family (from the fire) went to the warehouse with me and my family and loaded up two trucks and a trailer. I gave it all to them. My only request to them, was if they don't need it someday, that they give it away. Pay it forward.

And now i realized, after i go through some of these boxes of books and dishes etc, I will be able to fit, in my car, everything i own.

I'm not sure if that's incredibly freeing, or totally scary.

What are we holding on to, because we might need it? I want to go, and do and live and experience, and i couldn't when i literally had a house worth of furniture on my shoulders (okay, not literally). And that family, couldn't move into a new place and live on the floor. Unacceptable.

What am i still holding on to? What are you holding on to?


Snap to it people. Give it away. Go live.



.nnn.

1 comment:

Followers